As with most pubs, The Counting House in central London has the enviable problem of never having enough function room space during key trading times, but a recent discovery has solved this predicament.
Hidden away behind a door on the mezzanine balcony, lay a treat just in time for the New Year – a well-sized, perfect for functions, if it wasn’t already full.
“We always knew there had been a room up there,” explains Colin George, manager of The Counting House, “but it took a fresh pair of eyes from our Operations Manager Simon for us to have a really close look.”
“The room was formerly a plant room from the 1960s and 1970s, where machines pumped fresh air in from the outside and removed the smoke from the building, but since then it has sat unused.”
“Due to the amount of old equipment, it was impossible to see into the room, but after looking at the original bank blueprints it became evident it was a good size room.”
Once the machinery was removed, Colin found that many of the original building’s features were still in place, including some very ornate cornicing.
“As the building was Grade II listed when Fuller’s took over, it took quite a lot of discussions with the council to get planning permission,” continues Colin, who has been at The Counting House for eight years.
“Eventually we were able to get all the old equipment out and knock the wall through to the mezzanine balcony, which meant we could create a modern, spacious function room which can hold either 26 people seated in complete privacy with the concertina doors closed, or up to 50 people with the exclusive use of a private balcony.”
The room was renamed The Partner’s Room, after the four partners of the original Prescott bank, was opened in late November and has been getting booked steadily ever since.
“It’s a fantastic and popular addition to one of our flagship pubs in the centre of London,” says Colin, “and goes to show you should always ask the question ‘What’s behind the door?’”.
For further information contact Fuller’s Press Office:
|Telephone:||020 8996 2175|
Notes to editors
Fuller, Smith and Turner PLC is an independent traditional family brewer founded in 1845 and remains on its original site at the Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, London. The company has two trading divisions – Fuller’s Inns and The Fuller’s Beer Company.
Fuller’s Inns runs over 380 quality pubs, bars and hotels across the south of England. The Fuller’s Beer Company brews London Pride, the UK’s leading premium cask ale, as well as a portfolio of award-winning ales such as Chiswick Bitter, ESB and 1845. Three of Fuller’s beers – London Pride, ESB and Chiswick Bitter – have been named as CAMRA Champion Beer of Britain, a record unmatched by any other brewer.
Built in 1893 as a magnificent banking hall, the aptly named Counting House oozes 19th Century grandeur, with chandeliers and a high domed ceiling. Fuller’s bought the former bank in 1997, and the pub is one of the Chiswick-based brewer and pub company’s flagship London sites.
Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C. Griffin Brewery, Chiswick Lane South, London, W4 2QB
Telephone 020 8996 2000 www.fullers.co.uk
The above information is confidential to the addressee. Unauthorised access and use is prohibited. Internet communications are not secure and therefore this Company does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by replying to this Email as soon as possible and then delete this Email from your computer. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is prohibited and may be unlawful. Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C. Registered Office – Griffin Brewery, Chiswick Lane South, London W4 2QB. Registered in England Number 241882.
|Partners Room before (1).jpg
849K View Share Download
|The Partners Room.jpg
116K View Share Download
67K View Share Download
|Counting House high internal.JPG|