Cask Marque, with the support of the National Brewers, have created an e-learning training course for bar staff, “Beer Professional”.
The purpose of the course is to improve the customer experience and give staff the knowledge to confidently recommend a beer brand or style to a guest and the opportunity to upsell and demonstrate their professionalism and knowledge. It also helps staff retention. In the first year the cost will be just £30+VAT covering 10 learners.
The course takes 30 minutes and is available on a mobile, tablet or PC. It is a blend of video clips, theory, interactive exercises and a Check Your Knowledge test. When a member of the team passes this certificated course they join the Beer Pro Club and receive further opportunities to increase their knowledge and career prospects.
The course covers:
- Prepare Yourself
- Prepare Your Glassware
- Perfect Pour
- Present Professionally
- Prospect and promote
Paul Nunny, founder of Cask Marque was excited about this new development, “Bar staff are such an important part of delivering a great customer experience in pubs. Now we have set standards that allows bar staff to be more professional and rewarding in terms of job fulfilment. There are so many new bar staff in hospitality that it is even more important that they receive proper training to give them pride in their job. Already Thwaites, Stonegate and Punch have committed to roll out the training programme”
After extensive trials of the course “Beer Pro” has won Course of the Year Award for 2021 from Nimble, an e-learning specialist. The judges said “This is a polished course, well-constructed and engaging through use of video and knowledge checks. It has been designed with mobile in mind which is appropriate for the busy industry that the content is aimed at. The interactions are well deployed to reinforce the key learnings that are set out in the stylish video clips. This course stands out visually.”
Nimble host on their website 16,000+ courses from over 6,000 clients.
Notes to Editor
- Cask Marque is the accreditation body for pubs that serve great beer. It was formed in 1998 as a not for profit organisation supported by the industry.
- Cask Marque is the sponsor of the CAMRA Good Beer Guide 2022.
- It runs cellar management courses in venues throughout the UK as well as 1-2-1 training carried out in pub cellars.
- It star rates cellars, not dissimilar from the Food Hygiene Ratings and has carried out over 4,000 cellar inspections since July.
- Nimble, who host the platform, officially launched in early 2019 at Learning Technologies, Europe’s leading showcase for organisational learning and technology at Olympia, London. They were placed top in the exit polls of 2014 and 2015 against industry leaders such as Adobe. Since that time they have hosted thousands of companies to train the teams and worked with blue chip companies such as Costa Coffee, Krispy Kreme, Whitbread, Cunard, P&O Cruises, National Nuclear Labs, Go Ape and Gatwick, Manchester, Heathrow, Stanstead and Sydney airports to name but a few.
Press release from Cask Marque
Paul Nunny, Director – Cask Marque
- 07768 614065
Helen Sykes – Operations Manager
- 01206 984466