The Campaign for Real Ale has praised the community spirit of publicans across England this week for offering free meals to local children during half term.
Local pubs in communities up and down the country are offering families free packed lunches and hot meals for children who may not otherwise get a nutritious meal during the half term holidays.
Commenting, CAMRA’s National Chairman Nik Antona said:
“Pubs across the country have shown that even when they are facing an existential crisis as a result of the COVID-19 restrictions reducing trade and turnover, they are still selflessly supporting their communities.
“Despite their own financial hardship, publicans are providing help and support when times are tough.
“It shows just what a force for good well-run local pubs are in our villages, towns and cities. We must do everything we can to support our pubs through the difficult weeks and months ahead so they can continue to play their part as a vital part of our social fabric, and can continue to provide for our communities.”
Notes to editors:
Ten examples of pubs in England that are offering free meals to local children this half term:
- The Railway Tavern, Dereham, Norfolk, NR19 1HB, offering hot lunches – https://www.
- The Crown, Hastings, TN34 3BN, offering packed lunches- https://www.facebook.
- The Duke of Richmond, 316 Queensbridge Rd, London, E8 3NH, offering packed lunches – https://www.
- The Peterville Inn, St Agnes, Cornwall, TR5 0QU, offering pasta dishes and free tea and coffee for parents/guardians – https://www.facebook.com/
- The Windmill Inn, Portishead, North Somerset, BS20 6JZ, offering packed lunches – https://www.
- The Registry, 23-29 Leicester Street, Walsall, WS1 1PT, offering packed lunches – https://www.facebook.com/
- The Lingmell Inn, Murihead
Avenue East, Liverpool, L11 1EP, offering packed lunches and £1 dine-in children’s meals – https://www.facebook.com/ thelingmellinn
- The Eagle, Albion Way, Blyth NE24 5BJ, offering packed lunches and Sunday Lunch – https://www.facebook.com/
- The Bellflower, Parkside Ln, Garstang, Preston PR3 0JA, offering packed lunches – https://www.facebook.com/
- The Greystones, Greystones Road, Sheffield, S11 7BS, offering packed lunches – https://www.facebook.com/
These examples were collated using the following sources:
CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, is a not-for-profit consumer group with over 180,000 members that has been operating since 1971. Our vision is to have quality real ale and thriving pubs in every community.
Press Release from CAMRA
CAMRA Press Office: