Hogs Back Brewery is encouraging beer lovers to give both themselves and their local brewer a Christmas bonus by enjoying locally brewed beers across the festive season.
The brewery, based in Tongham, Surrey, has decked the halls and rolled out the barrel as it prepares to welcome both year-round and once-a-year regulars to the Brewery Shop.
Rupert Thompson, managing director of Hogs Back Brewery, said, “Just as people who shop at the supermarket all year round will buy their Christmas turkey from the local Farm Shop or Farmer Market, we also a see an upturn in customers supporting their local brewer during the festive season.
“Thanks to our hop garden, which we’re almost tripling in size, we’re very much a part of the local farming community. Beer is an artisan product made from natural ingredients, and an essential part of the Christmas tradition in Britain.
“The festive break will be a long haul this year, with many people celebrating from the weekend before Christmas right through to the New Year, and we certainly think there’s scope to ring the changes and swap a bottle of plonk for beers matched to festive fare on some occasions across the holiday.
“Our seasonal beer Advent Ale, 4.4% ABV, has wonderful smoky and roasted malt flavour, with a rich dark chocolate aftertaste, and should definitely be enjoyed in front of a roaring fire with a mince pie or two.”
For Christmas food and drink matching, Thompson suggests:
- Smoked salmon matched with Hogstar English Craft Lager (4.5% ABV): Brewed with five different hops and a blend of botanicals and matured for a month, Hogstar has a depth of flavour and natural carbonation that work well with smoked salmon or other seasonal seafood dishes;
- Christmas dinner matched with TEA (4.2% ABV): Refreshing but robust, the malty flavour of Hogs Back Brewery’s flagship ale makes it the perfect partner to a turkey dinner with all the trimmings;
- Christmas pudding with OTT (6% ABV): This strong, dark beer was enjoyed by the British Guild of Beer Writers at their 2018 annual awards dinner served with sticky toffee pudding. Its distinctive, complex aromas and taste make OTT an ideal pairing with rich desserts; Festive buffet with Outback Pale Ale (4.5% ABV): The refreshing light and hoppy flavours make Outback a great drink to serve with sausage rolls, creamy vol-au-vents, pork pies and other buffet food.
At its most popular time of year for visitors, Hogs Back is offering additional brewery tours in December, while Christmas Eve will feature carols with the Friary Brass Band from 11.30am – 1pm, with mince pies for all. With extended opening hours in the run up to Christmas, the Brewery Shop is a great one stop shop for festive beer, with knowledgeable staff on hand to offer advice, and free parking outside.
See the website www.hogsback.co.uk for details and opening hours.
Notes to editors
- Hogs Back Brewery was founded in 1992 in Tongham, Surrey, in the heart of the traditional Surrey hop growing area.
- Its flagship brand TEA, or Traditional English Ale, is one of the leading regional ales in the South East. The first beer brewed by Hogs Back 26 years ago, TEA has won multiple awards including runner-up in CAMRA’s Champion Beer of Britain in 2000. Distribution of TEA is currently at an all-time high.
- The Hogs Back Brewery range includes a number of award-winning draught and bottled beers. Launches over recent years include Outback Pale Ale, Hogstar English Craft Lager and Montezuma’s Chocolate Lager, all demonstrating Hogs Back’s ability to combine brewing expertise and tradition with product innovation to create distinctive, memorable beers. In 2013, Hogs Back also launched a traditional cloudy cider, Hazy Hog.
- In September 2015 Hogs Back Brewery harvested the first hops from its own hop garden on a 3.5 acre plot adjacent to the brewery, bringing the traditional but near-extinct Farnham White Bine hop variety back to its Surrey home. They are now in the process of moving the hop garden to a site almost triple the size of the existing one, which will ultimately provide 50% of their hop requirements.
- Hogs Back harvested four varieties in its hop garden in August 2018: Fuggles, used in their flagship TEA, or Traditional English Ale; Farnham White Bine, used in its limited-edition beer of the same name; English Cascade, used in Hogstar English Craft Lager; and a dwarf variety, Pioneer, used in its Home Harvest Ale. Hogs Back sources the majority of its hops from within 5 miles of the brewery.
Ros Shiel: email@example.com / 07841 694137
John Porter: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07734 054389