A Yorkshire brewery is celebrating after boosting its trophy cabinet with three prestigious new brewing awards.
Bridlington based Wold Top Brewery won a gold medal for Blonde beer Wold Gold in the Bottled Gold Beers category and winter beer Shepherd’s Watch won both a gold medal in the Bottled Bitters (over 5% ABV) category and took the silver medal in the overall Bottled Champion category at the SIBA (Society of Independent Breweries) North Region Beer Competition in Manchester last week.
Best selling Wold Gold (4.8% ABV) is a blonde, continental style beer brewed using Wold grown barley, wheat and cara malt to deliver a soft, fruity taste with a hint of spice whilst Shepherd’s Watch is a rich, dark, limited edition winter beer with an underlying maltiness and a subtle fruit aroma that is excellent with Yorkshire Parkin, Christmas Pudding and Rich Fruit Cake.
Brewery owner Tom Mellor was delighted to win the award and said; “It’s a great accolade to have a professional seal of approval on these beers. The competition was tough, as the Northern SIBA region is the biggest in the country, with 122 beers being considered by 138 judges. We’re delighted too that, as Gold Medal winners, both Wold Gold and Shepherd’s Watch will go through to the SIBA National Beer Competition that takes place at BeerX in March 2013. ”
The competition marked the start of the annual three day festival that is run in association with Greater Manchester CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) where 250 cask and 100 bottled beers are available or members of the public to taste.
Both beers are available from the website www.woldtopbrewery and from farm shops, farmers markets and independent retailers throughout Yorkshire. Wold Gold is also available from Sainsburys, Waitrose and Asda throughout Yorkshire and Booths in Lancashire and Yorkshire, where Shepherd’s Watch is also available.
Photo: Tom Mellor (R) receives his Gold award from SIBA Chief Executive Julian Grocock
For more information or to arrange an interview with Tom or Gill Mellor, please contact Tracey Baty at three60 marketing on;
Direct line: 01430 871360
Mobile: 07971 961574
E mail: [email protected]
Notes to editors
- For more information about Wold Top Brewery, please visit www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk
- Wold Top Brewery was founded in 2003 out of a need to diversify from farming. For more information about the brewery, please visit www.woldtopbrewery.co.uk . In 2003 production was 100 gallons per week with no paid staff and in 2012, production was up to 3125 gallons with a paid staff of 14.
- For more information about the Great Northern Beer Festival, please visit http://www.siba.co.uk/gnbf/
- The brewery’s unique selling points include home grown barley and the farm’s own source of chalk filtered water.
- Wold Top Brewery’s cask and bottled ales can be found in pubs and off licences throughout Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Please call the brewery on 01723 892222 for an up-to-date list.
- The range includes Wold Top Beer, Wold Gold blonde beer, Headland Red, Anglers Reward, Scarborough Fair IPA and Wold Top Against the Grain gluten free beer.