England’s highest brewery, based in the heart of Devon’s Dartmoor National Park, has teamed up with Dartmoor-based polar exploration project, Ice Warrior, to launch a new beer which captures the spirit of exploration and outdoor experience.
The new Ice Warrior Ale has been launched on the back of a boom in bottled beer sales over the past 12 months and has been brewed to reflect Dartmoor Brewery’s strong association with the great outdoors.
The flavour combinations of the Ice Warrior Ale are broadly based around the brewery’s original and multi-award winning Jail Ale, with some changes to the brewing recipe by Head Brewer Ian Cobham to create a unique, limited-edition ale brewed using traditional methods and ingredients.
Jim McNeill, founder of the Ice Warrior project and Dartmoor Brewery ambassador, joined Ian Cobham in launching the beer, announcing that a percentage of each bottle sale will be used to fund Ice Warrior’s polar expedition programme.
Since 2001 Ice Warrior has trained over 400 novices to be polar explorers, undertaken 7 major expeditions and directly contributed to our knowledge and understanding of our changing world. Its remit is to help scientists gauge the pulse of the planet and the next expedition, dubbed #LastPole, is not only a world first but a vital piece of citizen science. Ice is critical to the survival of humankind. 12,000 years ago, the last ice age sculpted much of Dartmoor. Ice has been a primary feature in our discoveries on the Arctic Ocean and Ice Warrior Ale is a celebration of this contribution. See www.ice-warrior.com for further details.
Ice Warrior founder Jim commented: “I’m chuffed to bits. In the “golden era of exploration” that we emulate, each expedition member was allotted a daily quota of beer that was often donated by local breweries. Having our own ale brewed for us by a modern-day, sustainable and responsible brewery, not only helps us recruit, raise awareness and funds for our expeditions but adds to the historic and modern nature of what we are trying to achieve. As an ambassador I am delighted in highlighting what all companies should be aspiring towards. Look out for the blog for more detail!”
Ian Cobham, Dartmoor Brewery MD and Head Brewer, commented: “Throughout this past challenging year, we’ve kept busy brewing our traditional ales for home delivery, whilst at the same time looking at new ideas to surprise and delight our loyal followers. Our new partnership with Ice Warrior is a natural fit with our passion for all things outdoors, and our commitment to initiatives which raise awareness of our fragile environment. Our new Ice Warrior Ale expresses our passion in our own special way – with traditional, natural beer!”
The new limited-edition beer is available exclusively online at www.dartmoorbrewery.co.uk (with free UK mainland delivery on orders of two packs or more).
About Dartmoor Brewery:
• Dartmoor Brewery began operations in 1994 at the Prince of Wales pub, Princetown, Devon. It now operates from a purpose built brewery situated in the heart of Dartmoor.
• Dartmoor Brewery is the highest brewery in England at 1465ft above sea level.
• Dartmoor Brewery produces the award winning Jail Ale (4.8%), Legend (4.4%), Dartmoor IPA (4%), Dragon’s Breath (4.4%) and Dartmoor Best (3.7%).
• Dartmoor Brewery is privately owned, and under the same ownership as the nearby Two Bridges Hotel, and The Bedford Hotel in Tavistock.
About Ice Warrior BASECAMP:
• BASECAMP is the HQ of the Ice Warrior Project and an outdoor retail shop, outfitting anyone venturing onto the moor and well beyond
• A centre for adult wilderness training from complete novice through to becoming real modern-day explorers
• All profits go towards our worthwhile, purposeful, expeditions
• All kit and clothing featured is chosen by veteran explorer, Jim McNeill
Press release from Dartmoor Brewery
Ian Cobham, Managing Director, Dartmoor Brewery
Jim McNeill, Explorer & Founder of Ice Warrior