An historic London pub has now reopened following a major £300,000 refurbishment and restoration.
The Grade II listed Cheshire Cheese in Little Essex Street, close to both Fleet Street and the Temple legal district was acquired by Shepherd Neame late last year.
Since then the ground floor bar, in line with the pub’s history and character, has been sympathetically updated while the basement now houses a Todd’s Wine Bar.
A newly laid out function and meeting facility occupies part of the pub’s upstairs floors, and there is also new signage.
Nigel Bunting, Shepherd Neame’s director of pub operations, said: “We are delighted that the Cheshire Cheese is open for business again, and looking better than ever. The refurbishment has returned the pub to its former glory while at the same time giving it a contemporary feel.”
There has been a tavern on the same site since at least the late 18th Century although the current building dates from 1928. It was designed by the revered pub architect Nowell Parr and is a classic and rare surviving example of an ‘improved’ pub of the interwar period.
Earlier this month Shepherd Neame acquired the Compton Cross in Soho and the Horse and Groom near Dartford.
Note to Editors:
Thousands of so-called ‘improved’ pubs were built during the interwar years. They were designed as an alternative to the lavish Gin Palaces, which it was assumed encouraged drunkenness and rowdy behavior. Improved pubs were usually modest and restrained in design, welcomed women customers, provided a venue for clubs and societies, and put as much emphasis on food as they did drink.
Shepherd Neame is not responsible for the content on third party websites.
For further information please contact the Shepheard Neame press office on 01795 542259 or email email@example.com or visit www.shepherdneame.co.uk
/ShepherdNeame @ShepherdNeame Shepherd Neame