Surrey-based Hogs Back Brewery is following the Football Association’s lead and launching a new, ‘inclusive’ badge for its popular Three Hogs beer, which is being brewed again for this summer’s Euros.
The new design replaces the original three hogs with a hog, a sow and a piglet, and is being offered as a limited-edition pump clip to pubs and bars serving Three Hogs during the tournament, which kicks off on 11 June.
Three Hogs was first brewed for the Euros in 2016, and again for the 2018 World Cup. It is available on draught and in 330ml bottles.
A 4% ABV golden ale, Three Hogs is brewed with a selection of English malts and hops including Fuggles grown on the Hogs Back hop garden next to the brewery. The pump clip and bottle label describe the ale as “a beer of two halves: refreshingly hoppy up front, followed by a balancing bitterness and a hint of sweetness to finish”.
Hogs Back Brewery managing director Rupert Thompson said, “The FA talks about the new badge representing football’s inclusivity, and we felt that was a good message to transpose to Three Hogs: it’s an easy-drinking beer that all football fans can enjoy together while rooting for our national team.”
He added, “Every international tournament raises hopes that football might ‘come home’, and this time, with many of the same players from 2018’s stunning World Cup run, and matches on home soil, the dreams of millions of England fans may finally come true. We certainly hope many of those celebrations will take place with a pint of Three Hogs in hand!”
Notes to editors
- Hogs Back Brewery was founded in 1992 in Tongham, in the heart of the traditional Surrey hop growing area.
- Its flagship brand TEA, or Traditional English Ale, is one of the leading regional ales in the South East. The first beer brewed by Hogs Back in 1992, TEA has won multiple awards including runner-up in CAMRA’s Champion Beer of Britain in 2000.
- The Hogs Back Brewery range includes a number of award-winning draught, bottled and canned beers, demonstrating its ability to combine brewing expertise and tradition with product innovation to create distinctive, memorable beers.
- Hogs Back’s traditional cloudy cider, Hazy Hog, launched in 2013, won a Bronze medal in the International Cider Challenge in 2019.
- Hogs Back planted a hop garden adjacent to its brewery in 2014, growing three hop varieties: Fuggles – used in its flagship TEA ale; Cascade – used in Hogstar lager; and Farnham White Bine.
- Hogs Back relocated its hop garden in 2019 and completed its first commercial harvest of this site in September 2020.
- While many pubs remain closed, Hogs Back continues to sell its beers through supermarkets and direct to customers, offering Drive Through and Click & Collect options at the brewery, or delivering direct to homes. Details on all options can be viewed on the website.
Issued by: ShielPorter Communications on behalf of Hogs Back Brewery
email@example.com / 07841 694137
firstname.lastname@example.org / 07734 054389