Hogs Back Brewery has literally ‘piggy backed’ a local arts initiative to create a lifesize, hop-covered fibreglass hog. The model, named Hopped Hog, is one of 60 ‘Haslemere Hogs’ on display in the town, close to the brewery’s location in Tongham, for the next three months.
Hopped Hog was decorated by local artist Alan Wallis, who was inspired by the Hogs Back hop garden, home to three varieties of hop including the local Farnham White Bine, revived from extinction by the brewer in 2015. Alan has covered Hopped Hog in hop-heavy bines, and added the brewer’s logo to both haunches.
The hog will be on display on Haslemere High Street until June. It will then ‘come home’ to the brewery, following a donation by Hogs Back to the charities supported by the Haslemere Hogs project.
Hogs Back managing director Rupert Thompson said, “We’re weren’t going to look this gift ‘hog’ in the mouth, and have thoroughly enjoyed working with Alan and watching him transform a plain fibreglass model into the hop-bedecked beauty that Hopped Hog is today.
“Hopped Hog will be a fine addition to Haslemere for the next few months, and then back at the brewery, and we’re sure he will be the subject of admiration – and more than a few ‘selfies’ – in both locations.”
He added, “We applaud organiser Brian Howard for launching this ambitious and creative project which will support a number of worthy charities as well as raising the town’s profile.”
The Haslemere Hogs project involves local artists and schools, who have decorated 60 hogs. These will be displayed in the town until June and then auctioned to raise money for four charities supported by the Mayor. More information at http://www.haslemerehogs.co.uk/
Notes to editors:
- Hogs Back Brewery was founded in 1992 in Tongham, Surrey, in the heart of the traditional Surrey hop growing area.
- Its flagship brand TEA, or Traditional English Ale, is the leading independent ale in Surrey and increasing in popularity elsewhere.
- The Hogs Back Brewery range includes a number of award-winning draught and bottled beers. Recent launches include Hogstar English Craft Lager, Montezuma’s Chocolate Lager and London’s Outback, all demonstrating Hogs Back’s ability to combine brewing expertise and tradition with product innovation to create distinctive, memorable beers. Hogstar won a Gold award at the Society of Independent Brewers’ National Keg Beer Competition 2015. In 2013, Hogs Back also launched a traditional cloudy cider, Hazy Hog.
- In September 2015 Hogs Back Brewery harvested the first hops from its own hop garden on a 3.5 acre plot adjacent to the brewery, bringing the traditional but near-extinct Farnham White Bine hop variety back to its Surrey home. Once fully mature, the hop garden will provide 25% of the brewery’s hop requirements.
- Hogs Back Brewery is growing its presence in both the on and off trade. Customers include Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Lidl, Majestic Wine, Mitchells & Butlers, Greene King and Spirit Pub Company.
Issued on behalf of: Hogs Back Brewery
Further information: Ros Shiel: email@example.com / 07841 694137
John Porter: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07734 054389