Between March 4th and 8th PubAid and Prostate Cancer UK are calling on the pub industry to host a quiz and raise money for charity, with almost 2,000 pubs already signed-up to do so.
All pubs will be sent a quiz pack when they sign up at no cost to them, with everything needed to host a successful event. Each pub is to choose a charity of choice to support, and those unsure are encouraged to partner with sponsors, Prostate Cancer UK.
The initiative has gathered support from across the industry including from the BII and CAMRA who have been actively encouraging members to join in.
Co-founder of PubAid, Des O’Flanagan, commented: “The quiz is a great way of recognising the fabulous work that UK pubs do for charity in raising over £100m a year. We’re delighted to be partnering with Prostate Cancer UK who have recognised that great British pubs are places to get their message heard and been enthusiastic supporters of the role the pub plays in the fabric of our communities.”
This is the third year that PubAid, the group dedicated to highlighting the great work UK pubs do for charity, have run the event and this year promises to be the biggest yet having enjoyed great support from large to small pub companies, as well as hundreds of individual operators. James Beeby, Director of Fundraising, at Prostate Cancer UK, commented: “We are thrilled to partner with PubAid for the second year and have already seen over a thousand pubs signed up to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK. Our number of ‘pop up’ pubs known as the Men United Arms is growing rapidly so it made sense to link up with PubAid again to reach even more publicans and consumers with a message about prostate cancer, and to raise money to fight the disease – which kills one man every 45 minutes in the UK.”
For more information about the World’s Biggest Pub Quiz visit: www.pubaid.com/quiz
FOR PRESS ENQUIRIES
020 3310 7135
Out of hours: 079 8432 5001
PubAid was formed in 2009 to highlight the work done by UK pubs for charity, sharing the message that UK pubs raise over £100m per year
About Prostate Cancer UK
Prostate Cancer UK leads the fight against prostate cancer. We fund ground-breaking research, drive improvements in treatment, and fight injustice in care. Now we’ve set ourselves the toughest challenge yet: to stop prostate cancer being a killer.
Through shifting the science over the next 10 years to focus on radical improvements in diagnosis, treatment, prevention and support, we can make prostate cancer a disease the next generation of men need not fear.
Key headline statistics
- 11,000 men die from prostate cancer in the UK each year. That’s one man every forty-five minutes.
- It’s the most common cancer in men, with 330,000 living with and after the disease in the UK. 1 in 8 men in the UK will be diagnosed with prostate cancer. The stats are 1 in 4 in black men.
- Prostate cancer is set to become the most commonly diagnosed cancer of all in the UK in 2030 – which is why we must all act now to curb its power to kill.
- Prostate cancer treatment often causes devastating, long term side-effects. Incontinence and erectile dysfunction strike at the heart of what it means to be a man.
- Anyone with concerns about prostate cancer may contact Prostate Cancer UK’s Specialist Nurses in confidence on 0800 074 8383 or online via the Live Chat instant messaging service: www.prostatecanceruk.org. The Specialist Nurse phone service is free to landlines and open from 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday with late opening until 8pm on Wednesdays.
- Visit www.prostatecanceruk.orgnow to help beat this disease.