- Steiner Hops counts Carlsberg, Heineken and Camden among its customers
- The expansion will help the firm capitalise on growth in the industry, with the craft beer sector adding 1.9 million new customers in the last three years
As one of the UK’s largest suppliers of hops, Woking-based Steiner Hops supplies more than 500 tonnes of hops each year to customers ranging from craft brewers Beavertown and Camden to household names including Carlsberg, Heineken and Molson Coors.
Now, following a £1.1 million funding package from Lloyds Bank, the business is set to grow as it moves into a significant new warehouse facility, that will help to boost turnover by up to 10% and create at least two new jobs.
The new 8,000 sq. ft. warehouse at Henley Business Park in Woking has been tailor-made with bespoke cold storage facilities, increased space for packaging and distribution, and a mezzanine floor housing offices for six staff.
The new facilities give Steiner Hops the space and flexibility to package its products into a range of mixed varieties and pallet quantities, which is required by brewers such as Bedford-based Brewpoint. This will help the firm meet rising demand from its growing customer base of small and independent breweries, including 400 craft breweries across the UK.
Steiner Hops is also using funding from Lloyds Bank to launch a new online web store for micro- and home-breweries to acquire the all-important hops.
Russell Falconer, managing director at Steiner Hops Ltd, said: “For more than 40 years, we’ve been supplying breweries of all sizes, offering a unique range of innovative hop products designed to enhance flavour, aroma, consistency, and flexibility.
“The expansion into our new warehouse gives us the space to continue growing and providing our customers – small and large – with the very best products.
“The support we’ve received from Lloyds Bank has helped us position ourselves for growth and allowed us to take that next step in our development journey, as we expand our support to smaller breweries.”
Steiner Hops is the UK subsidiary of the Hopsteiner group, an international hops producer founded in 1845 that supplies breweries worldwide.
Geoff Smith, relationship manager at Lloyds Bank, said: “Steiner Hops plays an essential role in supporting quality British brewing, which is growing in popularity. For example, the craft beer market has added 1.9 million new customers over the last three years, according to the CGA. It’s fantastic to see the business contribute to this growth and build on its existing reputation for excellence.
“We’re working arm in arm with businesses across the UK, providing the tailored support and funding they need to achieve their growth ambitions.”
About Lloyds Banking Group
- Lloyds Banking Group is a leading UK based financial services group providing a wide range of banking and financial services, focused on personal and commercial customers
- We help businesses from all parts of the UK, and across all different sectors and sizes, giving them the funding and support they need to grow both at home and abroad
- We provided over £31bn of business lending in 2020, including £13bn of government-backed loans to support customers through the pandemic
- We remain committed to helping our customers with their lending needs and typically approve 9 out of 10 applications
- We are also helping British businesses grow back greener and have committed £5bn in green financing
- To see the latest factsheet setting out how we support UK businesses please visit: Supporting British businesses – Lloyds Banking Group plc
Our support for small businesses
- We understand the important contribution small businesses make to our economy and local communities, and we take great pride in the support we offer to UK entrepreneurs
- We have committed to helping 75,000 new businesses start up in 2021
- We offer a comprehensive multi-channel service to our customers, allowing them to bank with us at a time and place that suits them – either online, over the phone or in branch
- Whether investing for growth, managing cash flow or unexpected expense, we can help with a wide range of borrowing options
Press release from Steiner Hops