St Austell Brewery’s award wining Cornish ale, Tribute, has been rebranded to boost stand-out on supermarket shelves.
The 4.2% Supreme Champion Ale now sports a rich purple-colour across its range of bottles, cans and kegs.
Following customer feedback, the central image of the county of Cornwall has been made more vivid and prominent to emphasize the prize-winning beer’s provenance, while the new designs also introduce the line “Cornish Pale Ale” and emphasise St Austell Brewery’s status as an independent family brewer.
A warm public reception to new pump clips which first featured the style led to its uptake across the whole brand.
Jeremy Mitchell, Marketing & Communications Director at St Austell Brewery said: “Tribute continues to enjoy impressive growth in pubs, as well as in the take home market with sales in supermarkets up 30% in 2012. We carried out customer research which highlighted three key messages that customers found appealing:
1. Emphasise the Cornish provenance. Customers within the M25 were 20% more likely to choose a beer if they knew it was from Cornwall.
2. Provide a clear product description. New customers in particular wanted to see this before they purchased.
3. Celebrate St Austell Brewery’s independence. Customers liked the fact that we are 100% independent and still family owned.
We believe the new look addresses these points and will help attract even more customers to the delights of Tribute.”
Made using specially grown Cornish Gold Malt, Tribute was first brewed to commemorate the 1999 solar eclipse.
The ale was named Best Drink at food Reader Awards 2013, awarded a Silver Medal at the Taste of the West Awards 2009, won the SIBA South West awards 2007 and was voted Supreme Champion Cornish Ale at CAMRA’s Falmouth Beer Festival 2004.
Images: For more branding images please access the following public folder here…
Notes to editors:
St Austell Brewery (www.staustellbrewery.co.uk)
· With a large number of award wins under its belt, including, most recently, Best Drink, at the Food Reader Awards in 2013 and voted the licensees’ Regional Cask Ale of the Year at the Publicans’ Suppliers Awards 2012, its flagship Tribute Ale (4.2% ABV) is currently in the top five of the UK’s best selling premium cask ales.
· Founded in 1851, St Austell Brewery is known to be one of the oldest businesses in Cornwall.
· It is one of only 30 Independently Family Owned Brewers in the UK.
· The company owns over 170 pubs and inns across the South West.
· It is the South West’s largest wholesale distributor of beer, ciders, wines, spirits and soft drinks, serving more than 3,000 free trade accounts, from pubs, clubs, restaurants, hotels and other licensed outlets in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Bristol.
· The company employs up to 1,000 people including part-time and seasonal staff.
· The company brews five main cask ale beer brands: Tribute, Proper Job, Trelawny, Dartmoor Best and HSD. Korev Cornish Lager is also available on draught.
· The bottled beer range consists of HSD, Tribute, Proper Job, Admiral’s Ale, Trelawny, Smugglers Vintage Ale, Smugglers Grand Cru, Clouded Yellow wheat beer, 1913 Cornish Stout and Korev Cornish lager.
· The company markets its cask ales nationally.
· The company also distributes a full range of national brands of beers and minerals and a full range of wines and spirits under the Walter Hicks label.
· The company is a recognised centre of excellence for training, accredited by the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII), offering a wide range of courses to people who work in the licensed trade.
For further information, please contact:
Director of Marketing & Communications Deborah Clark Associates
St Austell Brewery
Tel: 01726 627149