Looking for a night at the pub without the hangover? Sainsbury’s has announced it is opening the UK’s first ever no and low alcohol pub.
The Clean Vic No & Low Alcohol pub will open its doors on New Oxford Street from 24th to 25th July, serving a wide range of beers, wines and mocktails. But don’t expect to get tipsy as while the pop-up looks exactly like a traditional pub, complete with bartenders and pints, everything on offer will in fact be entirely non-alcoholic or have an ABV of just 0.5%.
Thirsty punters will even have the chance to try the UK’s first non-alcoholic dark distillate, Celtic Soul, which offers a refined and sophisticated drinks experience that takes the appeal of whisky. The new tipple will be on offer alongside over 20 types of drinks available at Sainsbury’s, including a range of beers such as Lucky Saint, mocktails such as an Everleaf – a non-alcoholic aperitif – spritz, and a collection of wines.
Entry to the pub will cost just £5, which also entitles attendees to two drinks of their choice and two bar snacks throughout their visit.
What’s more, The Clean Vic No & Low Alcohol pub will also be offering immersive masterclasses for punters looking for some inspiration on how to cut down on their alcohol intake. Join Millie Gooch, founder of Sober Girl Society, for a No & Low alcohol cocktail making masterclass, or try a range of No & Low ABV beers and lagers with a beer tasting session. Each workshop costs just £12 to book, and will also gain you entry to the pub itself afterwards – for another tipple or two!
This comes as Sainsbury’s has seen a 31.8% increase in sales of no and low alcoholic products in the last twelve weeks and a 33% increase in customers searching for non-alcoholic products online.
Anne Cooper, Buyer at Sainsbury’s, said: “We’re seeing a really exciting spike in the no and low alcohol category at Sainsbury’s which has been growing since 2001. With an increasing number of products now available, those who want to hold off on alcoholic beverages don’t need to miss out on the experience of enjoying a beer with friends or even a mocktail made with a delicious non-alcoholic distillate.
“From speaking to customers, we know there is still some uncertainty about what these no and low alcohol products taste like and how they are made. So, our specially curated workshops in the Clean Vic will help customers learn more about these drinks, providing key tasting notes given by the experts.”
Dates: 24th – 25th July 2019
Timings: 24th July – 1pm-9pm, 25th July 12pm-7pm
Address: The Old Crown Public House, 33 New Oxford Street, Holborn, London, WC1A 1BH
– Ends –
020 3588 9700
Notes to editors
Customers can use their token to pick up two of the following drinks*, along with two tasty bar snacks:
To enjoy in a mocktail:
- Seedlip Distilled Non-Alcoholic Spirits Grove 42
- Caleno Juniper & Inca Berry
- Celtic Soul Non-alcoholic distillate
- Ceder’s Crisp Non-alcoholic
- Ceder’s Classic Non-alcoholic
- Everleaf Non-Alcoholic Bittersweet Aperitif
Non-alcoholic and low alcohol beers:
- Sainsbury’s Low Alcohol Czech Lager 0.5% ABV
- Lucky Saint Unfiltered Lager 0.5% ABV
- Heineken 0% ABV
- Peroni Libera 0% ABV
- Free Damn 0% ABV
- Infinite Session
- Erdinger Low Alc 500ml 0.4% ABV
- Strongbow 0% ABV
- Old Speckled Hen 0.5% ABV
Non-alcoholic and low alcohol wines:
- Sainsbury’s Low Alcohol TtD Sauvignon Blanc 0.5% ABV
- Sainsbury’s TtD Low Chardonnay Alcohol Blanc de Blancs 0.5% ABV
- Sainsbury’s Alcohol Free Red Wine 0.05% ABV
- Sainsbury’s Alcohol Free Rosé 0.05% ABV
- Sainsbury’s Alcohol Free Sparkling 0.05% ABV
- Nosecco 0.5% ABV*subject to availability.
About J Sainsbury
- Our vision is to be the most trusted retailer where people love to work and shop. Our colleagues, strong culture and values are integral to achieving this vision and driving our success – now and in the future.
- Sainsbury’s Bank offers accessible financial services products such as credit cards, insurance, travel money, mortgages and personal loans that reward customers.
- As our customers’ lives change, so will our business. Sainsbury’s acquired Home Retail Group, the owner of Argos and Habitat, on 2 September 2016, creating one of the UK’s leading food, general merchandise and clothing retailers – a multi-product, multi-channel business with fast delivery networks. J Sainsbury plc operates over 600 Sainsbury’s supermarkets, more than 800 Sainsbury’s Local convenience stores and over 800 Argos locations – almost 2,300 locations in total. In addition, we have online channels for food, clothing, general merchandise and financial services. We sell over 90,000 products and employ over 185,000 colleagues across the UK and Ireland. The iconic Habitat furniture and home furnishings brand operates out of five stand-alone stores in London, Leeds, Brighton and Edinburgh as well as 12 Mini Habitats in Sainsbury’s supermarkets.
- Sainsbury’s commitment to helping customers live well for less has been at the heart of what we do since 1869. Today that means making our customers’ lives better and easier every day by offering great quality and service at fair prices – across food, clothing, general merchandise and financial services – whenever and wherever they want to shop.