Woodforde’s Brewery, the award-winning Norfolk brewer, has responded to Norwich City fans’ thirst for its popular Wherry Amber Ale by making it available in recyclable plastic bottles.
The new 330ml bottles of Wherry make their debut at the Canaries’ home game against Middlesbrough this Saturday (15 September) and will be available at food service kiosks throughout the Carrow Road stadium concourses.
The new bottles offer supporters a chance to enjoy the award-winning 3.8% ABV ale pre-match and at half time.
Norwich City FC director of catering Stuart Cox said: “As far as we’re aware, no other football clubs have an ale or bitter available to fans in recyclable plastic bottles at present.
“We’re delighted to have worked with Woodforde’s to come up with this speedy way to serve what is proving to be a match-day favourite. Canaries fans are obviously familiar with Wherry, but we’re finding that away supporters are developing a taste for it, too.”
James Armitage, Woodforde’s commercial and marketing director, said: “Wherry is our flagship ale, and it has never been available in plastic bottles before. I think it’s quite fitting that it makes its debut appearance in plastic in its home city as a result of its popularity among local football fans.
“The plastic bottles are significantly quicker to serve to fans at the kiosks, who ordinarily need to have their drinks decanted from a glass bottle or can. We’re pleased to be able to support Norwich City FC in their challenge to continually improve customer satisfaction and service efficiency.
“We’ve already had enquiries of interest from other event catering teams and stadiums interested in stocking Wherry and other Woodforde’s brews in plastic bottles.”
Wherry and Woodforde’s Norada Pale Ale are available in Norwich City FC’s hospitality lounges, and Wherry PET in concourse kiosks throughout the stadium.
The new partnership between Woodforde’s and Norwich City FC kicked-off at the start of this season and sees Woodforde’s logo, which features Norfolk-born Lord Nelson, adorning The Barclay Stand in bright yellow and green, reflecting the Canaries’ signature strip.
Issued on behalf of Woodforde’s Brewery. For further information, please contact:
Steve Dann Laura Rogers
Director Account Manager
Fleet Street Communications Fleet Street Communications
0121 262 3900 0121 262 3900
Notes to editors:
- Woodforde’s Brewery rebranded last year by linking with the legacy of Norfolk’s favourite son, and one of Britain’s greatest military heroes, Admiral Lord Nelson.
- Woodforde’s Brewery was founded in 1981 and operates from its brewery and pub site in the village of Woodbastwick, near Norwich.
- Woodforde’s Brewery is the largest brewer in Norfolk.
- The Brewery has won more than 50 nationally recognised awards, including two Champion Beers of Britain (Wherry and Norfolk Nog), as voted by CAMRA.
- Woodforde’s is one of only four brewers to have received this award twice.
- Of the 50 national awards, 26 have been first place, as well as winning an array of regional and category awards.
- Woodforde’s has two operational brew houses, with a 30 and 60 barrel capacity.
- There are six beers in the core cask range: Wherry; Reedlighter; Nelson’s Revenge; Norada; Pure Gold and Norfolk Nog.
- Wherry, Bure Gold, Nelson’s Revenge and Norfolk Nog are available in 500 ml bottles. Reedlighter is available in 330 ml bottles.