World’s Biggest Pub Quiz tops £200,000 for charity
The World’s Biggest Pub Quiz, organised by PubAid in March this year, has raised more than £230,000* for hundreds of charities, including over £94,000 for Prostate Cancer UK, the event’s official charity partner.
This is the first time that money raised from the quiz has topped the £200,000 mark since its launch in 2016 and is a 21% uplift on the 2018 amount. The average sum raised per pub this year was £160, up from £134 last year. The quiz has raised a total of £750,000 over the four years it has been running.
Co-founder of PubAid, Des O’Flanagan, commented: “We’re delighted with this impressive total raised by the quiz, which we know will be put to good use by the wide range of charities and worthy causes it benefits.
“The substantial increase in the average amount raised per pub is welcome and we think it shows that, after four years, the quiz has become a popular fixture on many pubs’ calendars, something that licensees and their customers look forward to every year. It meant that this year, more publicans were promoting the quiz, attracting more quizzers and often adding additional fundraising activities like bingo or raffles, to increase the amount raised on the night.
“The quiz not only raises money, but also shines a spotlight on the great work that pubs do for charity. More than £100 million is raised by pubs every year, an incredible amount which reflects their vital role at the heart of their local communities.”
He added: “We are grateful to every pub, pub company and brewer who supported this year’s quiz, and also to our charity partner since 2017, Prostate Cancer UK; they have driven the quiz with huge professionalism and enthusiasm and have undoubtedly helped to raise its profile over the last three years.”
Jon Eserin, Associate Director of Fundraising at Prostate Cancer UK, said: “It’s been brilliant to watch the World’s Biggest Pub Quiz grow over the past three years and we feel lucky to have been able to play a part in that as PubAid’s official charity partner. We are extremely grateful to all the venues who have chosen to support Prostate Cancer UK this year and who have raised funds that will help stop prostate cancer being a killer.
“As well as helping us to raise an incredible amount of money, our partnership with PubAid has allowed us to reach men and raise awareness of a disease which kills one man every 45 minutes. We thank PubAid for their ongoing support and look forward to seeing the World’s Biggest Pub Quiz grow from strength to strength.”
THE WORLD’S BIGGEST PUB QUIZ 2019 – KEY FACTS
Based on a post-event survey of 94 participating venues
- An estimated 1,438 pubs ran for the quiz this year
- 91% of licensees liked this year’s quiz questions and 74% liked the promotional posters
- 50% of participating pubs also ran a raffle on the night, and 17% held another type of fundraising activity
- The most popular night to hold the quiz was on the Sunday (19%), followed by Thursday (18%)
- 22% of pubs asked for questions to be made easier, while 6% asked for them to be harder
- 70% of pubs who took part are ‘definitely’ planning to run the quiz again in 2020 and a further 24% are ‘likely’ to repeat it.
*Total number of pubs who have reported monies raised (986) plus an estimated 452 pubs who have not yet reported the sum they raised, multiplied by the average gift (£160).
Notes to editors:
About Prostate Cancer UK
- Prostate Cancer UK leads the fight against prostate cancer. We fund ground-breaking research, drive improvements in treatment, and fight injustice in care. Now we’ve set ourselves the toughest challenge yet: to stop prostate cancer being a killer.
- Through shifting the science over the next 10 years to focus on radical improvements in diagnosis, treatment, prevention and support, we can make prostate cancer a disease the next generation of men need not fear.
Key headline statistics
- 11,500 men die from prostate cancer in the UK each year. That’s one man every forty-five minutes.
- It’s the most common cancer in men, with 400,000 living with and after the disease in the UK. 1 in 8 men in the UK will be diagnosed with prostate cancer. The stats are 1 in 4 in black men.
- Prostate cancer is set to become the most commonly diagnosed cancer of all in the UK in 2030 – which is why we must all act now to curb its power to kill.
- Anyone with concerns about prostate cancer may contact Prostate Cancer UK’s Specialist Nurses in confidence on 0800 074 8383 or online via the Live Chat instant messaging service: prostatecanceruk.org. The Specialist Nurse phone service is free to landlines and open from 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday with late opening until 8pm on Wednesdays.
- Visit prostatecanceruk.orgnow to help beat this disease.
PubAid is a working party created in 2009 to highlight the work done by UK pubs for charity, sharing the message that UK pubs raise over £100m per year.
The PubAid Steering Group is led by co-founder Des O’Flanagan and includes a number of well-known figures from the pub world, who lend their time and other resources to help spread the positive messages about pubs’ role at the heart of their communities.
Prostate Cancer UK
020 3310 7097
Out of hours: 079 8432 5001