Curious Brewery, owned by England’s leading winemaker Chapel Down, has appointed a new Head of Brewing & Production, Matthew Anderson.
Anderson joins Curious Brewery from AB-Inbev where he accrued more than a decade of professional beer industry experience working on some of the world’s biggest beers.
Anderson takes on the role of Head of Brewing & Production with immediate effect where he will oversee, grow and add to Curious’ existing portfolio of premium beer and cider brands, each made with a unique winemaker’s twist.
Alongside this, Matthew will also oversee the development of the state-of-the-art, 4,000ft, Curious Brewery set to open in Ashford, Kent, in early 2019.
Gareth Bath, Curious Brewery Managing Director, said “We are thrilled to welcome Matthew to the Curious family. Going into our seventh year of business Matthew’s brewing knowledge combined with our passion for making distinctive beers of unique, balance and style, means a thrilling new chapter in store for Curious drinkers.”
Matthew Anderson said, “The chance to build a brand new Brewery doesn’t come along very often in a brewer’s life and I felt I really had to be part of this. That I get to do it whilst growing and adding to the existing drinks portfolio and being part of a team that is changing the way consumers think about and drink beer is brilliant. With Curious’ winemaking heritage and vision to create things that others can’t, I’m looking forward to making this happen!”
Anderson first joined AB-InBev in 2007 as Packaging Quality Lab Technician in London’s Stag Brewery, where he helped introduce some of the first scavenging crown liners to the UK.
Following this, Anderson made the move to the Brewing Department in Magor, Wales and over a three-year period successfully climbed the ranks to Brewmaster and Brewing Manager.
This role saw Matthew introduce Budweiser, Becks & Stella 4% ABVs to the Brewery, brands which now make up over 50% of their annual volume. As well as making several new instalments that increased the capacity of the Brewery including new Mash Filters, CV’s and Fermentation Vessels.
During this three-year period, Anderson also completed his IBD (Diploma in Brewing), along with the AB-Inbev Global Brewmaster Program, where he finished in the number #1 spot for Europe.
Before joining Curious Brewery, Anderson held the role of Packaging Manager in the Samlesbury Brewery, where he was responsible for producing over three million hectolitres of beer a year. In his final years at AB-InBev Anderson launched Bud Light into the UK in 2017, followed by Brahma Cans in 2018.
New Curious Head Brewer Snapshot
Name: Matthew Anderson
Favourite Beer: Bourbon County Stout
For further information and images please contact Well Hello Communications:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 07910 374301
Dominique@wellhellocomms.co.uk / 07494 965 740
Notes to Editors:
About Curious Drinks
Launched in 2011, Curious Brewery is a range of premium beers and cider produced using winemaking expertise. The range comprises:
- Curious Brew: Lager re-fermented with Champagne yeast with a clean, fruity and fragrant finish
- Curious IPA: A triple hopped and distinctively IPA with a balanced, zesty and refreshing finish
- Curious Apple: Fully ripe hand-picked Kentish apples fermented with Bacchus wine yeast resulting in a cleaner, crisper and fresher cider
About Curious Brewery
The Curious Brewery product range is listed nationally in Majestic, Waitrose and Tesco, as well as in many of the UK’s finest restaurants and bars.
- Curious Brewery is the official beer and cider supplier to the Donmar Warehouse and London Symphony Orchestra, it’s products are also served at The National Portrait Gallery, Royal Festival Hall and the Southbank Centre.
- In 2018, Curious Brewery is set to open a new custom-built, state-of-the-art brewery in Ashford, Kent. The custom-built brewery will be open to the public for guided tours and will feature a shop, restaurant and bar.
- The Curious Brewery is the headline sponsor of the Curious Arts Fair 2018: http://www.curiousartsfestival.com/