The energy team at Marston’s, made up of: Andy Kershaw, Head of Property; Chris White, Energy Manager; Alex Rollinson, Energy & Waste Co-ordinator; and Sarah Taylor, Senior Surveyor, have worked on creating and reaching a variety of sustainable milestones for the business. Proud of the journey so far, Marston’s are championing their sustainable credentials and achievements within the environmental sector.
Key Achievements From 2018-2020
- Marston’s became the first pub company to achieve zero waste to landfill in 2018, two years ahead of schedule. Marston’s overall recycling rate has also increased to 74%, prior to Covid-19 restrictions and subsequent pub closures.
- All single use plastic straws have been removed from the estate and single use plastic bottles removed from lodges, which in the first year saw a reduction of 500,000 bottles and a 78% decline in straw usage.
- All Marston’s managed pubs are fitted with LED lights, reducing the company’s emissions and overall carbon footprint year on year.
- Marston’s operate its own water retail supplier licence, which in 2019 helped the business save 135,448 pints of water per day.
- Marston’s has delivered the UK’s largest private network of rapid electric vehicle (EV) chargers across hospitality sites in partnership with Osprey Charging*, and it is one of the largest networks of any private business in Europe.
- Garden furniture at managed sites is now made from 100% recycled plastic waste. 210 tonnes of low-grade plastic waste has already been saved from going to landfill or incineration, and the roll out of the furniture will continue.
- Over 190 cardboard compactors have been installed at pubs, helping improve the cardboard quality for recycling and reduce vehicle movements for collection.
- The entire Marston’s Inns estate recycles all of its bedding, benefiting multiple local charities.
Awards Won by Marston’s From 2018-2020
As well as key environmental achievements, the energy team at Marston’s has won multiple awards for the sustianble actions taken within the business.
- Marston’s won Gold at the 2020 Green World Awards in the Food & Drink/Waste Management category for the Setting the Bar entry, in collaboration with UK Waste Solutions Ltd (UKWSL).
- Operator of the Year for Energy Efficiency & Sustainability award, during the 2020 Kitchen and Equipment Awards Week hosted by Catering Insight and Foodservice Equipment Journal.
- Waste and Resource Management Project of the Year, at the 2020 edie sustainability leaders awards in collaboration with UKWSL.
- Partnership Excellence Commercial Award at the 2019 National Recycling Awards, due to the work and relationship with UKWSL focusing on Marston’s waste management.
- Marston’s won Gold at the Green Apple Environment Awards in 2019 in the Food and Drink category, recognising Marston’s partnership work with UKWSL on waste reduction across its estate of national pubs. The award win also meant the company joined the Green World Ambassador scheme.
- Sustainable Use of Water Award at the Footprint Drinks Sustainability Awards 2019.
- Waste Prevention and Management Award at the Footprint Drinks Sustainability Awards 2019.
- EMA Energy Team of the Year 2018.
Andy Kershaw said: “Over the past few years we have really pushed and developed our sustainable actions and we are really proud of what we have achieved.
“More than ever, green thinking is becoming the forefront of consumer and business minds, so as well as constantly developing and striving forward, it’s important that we also take time to recognise our milestones and celebrate our achievements.”
Chris White said: “Our sustainable achievements have been a real collaborative effort, not only by our team at head office, but also on the ground in our pubs. Maintaining a green working culture is a joint task and we are very proud and grateful for everyone’s efforts.”
Marston’s has an estate of approx. 1400 pubs across the UK.
*Osprey Charging (previously known as Engenie prior to a company rebrand) is an electric vehicle charging network operator specialising in rapid chargers.
Press release from The Vital Agency on behalf of Marston’s
For more information about Marston’s or to speak with a member of the energy team, please contact Charlotte Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org