Surrey craft brewer Hogs Back Brewery is throwing its hat into the political ring by providing a beer to the Official Monster Raving Loony Party (OMRLP) in the run up to the General Election.
The beer was launched with a tour of pubs near the brewery in Tongham with OMRLP leader Alan ‘Howling Laud’ Hope, who lives locally.
For the duration of the campaign, Hogs Back Brewery has rebranded its 3.7% ABV Hogs Back Bitter as ‘Hog in the Limelight’, in a nod to Hope’s self-styling as the Boss Hog character from ‘Dukes of Hazzard’. The limited edition pump clip features an image of a hog in white suit and prairie hat.
Rupert Thompson, Hogs Back Brewery owner, said, “We were flattered to be approached by the OMRLP to join them in their ‘CoALEition’. Linking a Hog character to the beer, and the party’s English eccentric character, made it an attractive proposition for Hogs Back Brewery.
“It’s a shame that no OMRLP candidate is likely to be celebrating General Election victory with a pint of Hog in the Limelight, but fortunately, a great pint of ale cuts across the political divide, so many supporters of all parties will certainly enjoy it between now and May.”
Hog in the Limelight is available to pubs until the General Election. It is one of a number of beers participating in a CoALEition with the OMRLP.
Caption to attached image: Alan ‘Howling Laud’ Hope of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party with David Paterson, head of sales at Hogs Back Brewery, at the launch of the brewery’s Hog in the Limelight beer
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Hogs Back Brewery was founded in 1992 in Tongham, Surrey, in the heart of the traditional Surrey hop growing area, and bought by current owner Rupert Thompson in 2012.
- Its flagship brand TEA, or Traditional English Ale, is the leading independent ale in Surrey and increasing in popularity throughout London and the South East, as well as being sold in leading supermarkets.
- The Hogs Back Brewery range includes a number of award-winning cask and bottled ales. Recent launches include Hogstar craft lager and Montezuma Chocolate lager, both demonstrating Hogs Back Brewery’s ability to combine brewing expertise and tradition with product innovation to create distinctive, memorable beers. Last year, Hogs Back also launched a traditional cloudy cider, Hazy Hog.
- In 2014 Hogs Back Brewery planted its own hop field on land adjacent to the brewery, bringing the traditional but near-extinct White Bine hop variety back to its Surrey home.
- Hogs Back Brewery is growing its presence in both the on and off trade. Customers include Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Waitrose, Majestic Wine, JD Wetherspoon, Mitchells & Butlers, Greene King and Spirit Pub Company.
Issued on behalf of: Hogs Back Brewery
By: ShielPorter Communications
Further information: Ros Shiel: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07841 694137
John Porter: email@example.com / 07734 054389