Managed pub and bar group TCG is pledging to raise £100,000 for Cancer Research UK, after hitting its initial target of £70,000.
The fundraising drive started in February last year, and TCG’s pub, bar and head office teams have pulled out all the stops to support the charity. Their enthusiasm, and the response from their customers, has prompted TCG to extend the campaign and target a minimum £100,000 total by the end of August.
Chief operating officer Nigel Wright said, “We’ve been hugely impressed by the efforts from our teams to raise money for Cancer Research UK, and by the amazing generosity of our customers. This is a deserving cause that clearly strikes a chord with many people on both sides of the bar, and we’re delighted to be supporting it for a further six months.”
TCG’s pubs and bars have raised money for Cancer Research UK by holding music festivals, quiz nights and gala evenings, as well as simple ‘bucket collections’ on Bank Holidays and other high-footfall days.
TCG teams from across the country entered the charity’s series of women-only ‘Race for Life’ events over the summer, as well as completing independent cycling, hiking and running challenges. Fundraising stars included Dan Henry, general manager of the Steam Passage in Islington, who raised over £1,000 by cycling 200km and running a full and a half-Marathon in just five days.
One of the top fundraising sites is the Fatling in Hornchurch, one of TCG’s flagship community pubs which has so far collected more than £4,700 for the charity. General manager Sandy Castle said, “I’m really proud of my team, who have really thrown themselves into raising funds for Cancer Research UK. We always make sure that any charity events at the Fatling are fun to be part of, as we find that happy customers are also generous customers.”
Notes to editors:
- TCG operates a diverse estate of 69 managed pubs and bars nationwide.
- The business has a strong foothold in London, with high-profile sites such as the flagship Tattershall Castle floating bar and restaurant on the Embankment.
· The estate stretches across the country from Aberdeen to Newquay, and from Cardiff to Norwich. It includes late night bars, community and sports locals, student venues and quality town centre pubs, as well as a number of trading formats, such as the Henry’s Café Bar brand, Eerie Pubs and the King’s Feast food concept.
Cancer Research UK
· Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
- The charity’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
· Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Issued on behalf of: TCG
By: ShielPorter Communications
Further information: Ros Shiel: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07841 694137
John Porter: email@example.com / 07734 054389