Yonder Brewing & Blending, the modern farmhouse brewery based in Somerset’s Mendip Hills, is launching a limited-edition premium craft beer and cider hybrid in time for the summer, in collaboration with Somerset cider-maker extraordinaire Martin Berkeley, from Pilton Cider.
At 6.4% abv, Serpents is a cider apple wild ale brewed with a high percentage of apple juice from two varieties of local apple and fermented with Yonder’s unique house cultures. It has the dry finish of a natural farmhouse cider balanced by the full body and sweetness from the malt, together with a slight hop bitterness.
Stuart Winstone, Founder of Yonder Brewing & Blending, says: “We are really excited to be launching our mixed fermentation beer and cider hybrid Serpents, which pulls together aspects from both disciplines. It is a beautifully balanced cider apple wild ale, which is perfect for drinking on a warm spring or summer day.”
Martin Berkeley, founder of Pilton Cider, says: “We have known Stuart and his co-founder Jasper for a long time and have talked about creating a beer and cider hybrid together for the last couple of years. 2021 seemed like the perfect year to do it, with Serpents being ideal for outdoor drinking with (socially distanced) friends in the late spring and summer.”
Brew Yonder has also this month launched Mrs Patterson, a Pear, Blackberry and Ginger Pastry Sour, which pays tribute to the character of the same name from the popular TV series Harry Enfield & Chums, with this year being its 30th Anniversary. The 6% abv beer is not only full of character, but characters. Alongside the long-suffering mum Mrs Patterson, there’s Kevin the wayward ginger son, and of course, Kevin’s friend Perry is referenced in the overtly Pear-y flavour. Mrs Patterson is available nationwide* now in 440ml cans, with an RRP of £6 per can.
Mrs Patterson (Kevin’s mum, of course), makes a delicious pear and blackberry crumble, with a hint of ginger and the slightest touch of vanilla. The new beer is a pastry sour combining all of those elements, perfectly balanced in sweetness and acidity, and has an abv of 6%. Sweet British conference pears and hand-picked wild blackberries? Yes, Mrs Patterson!
Like the rest of Yonder’s range, the new products use locally foraged ingredients, which showcase the incredible variety of flavours available on its doorstep while also minimising food miles.
Yonder’s core range of beer is available in 440ml cans and comprises: its flagship Raspberry Gose, an extremely popular sour fruited beer with an abv of 4% abv; Acapella, a heavyweight pilsner with an abv of 5.5%; Sub Culture, a 4.5% abv mixed fermentation dry-hopped pale ale, Coolbox, a 3.5% abv session helles beer, and Boogie, a 3.8% abv modern bitter.
Yonder Beer & Brewing was founded in 2018 by Jasper Tupman and Stuart Winstone, who share a passion for foraging, fermentation and flavour.
Jasper and Stuart invested everything they had to build their unique vision of carefully crafted beers with a strong sense of place. Later joined by Dave Williams as Head Brewer and Lee Calnan as Sales Director, 2020 marked the next phase of development for a small team with big ambitions: to bring innovative, modern farmhouse brewing to a wider audience in the UK and beyond.
*The beers are available from the brewery online shop www.brewyonder.co.uk/collections/all as well as from independent bottle shops across the UK.
Notes to editors:
- Tasting notes for Yonder’s core range are as follows:
- Raspberry Gose (4% abv) contains 170g per litre of the best British raspberries. It is opaque and vibrant red in colour. Aromas of fresh fruit dominate with hints of tangy yoghurt in the background. Tart raspberry coulis hits your senses with the first sip and lingers with the full, smoothie-like body and a saline lick from Cornish sea salt.
- Acapella (5.5% abv) is an unfiltered heavyweight pilsner-style lager weighing in at 5.5% ABV and brewed with 100% UK ingredients, including a liberal lashing of traditional and new variety UK hops.
- Subculture (4.5% ABV) is a pale ale brewed with a medley of cultures and 100% UK ingredients. Expect high-end fruit flavours from UK grown Jester and Olicana hops, on top of the dry and funky finish of Brett fermentation.
- Coolbox (3.5% ABV) is a refreshingly balanced Helles lager, brewed with 100% UK ingredients and inspired by our love of the great outdoors. Grab a six-pack, put it on ice and enjoy it at the beach, next to a campfire, at home in the garden, or at the pub with friends. Wherever your adventure takes you!
- Boogie (3.8% abv) is a modern reinterpretation of an English Bitter; inspired by the past but brewed with the future firmly in mind. Using new UK hop varieties and our house yeast, we’ve created a beer which tastes like home without dampening the desire to explore beyond it.
- For more information about Yonder, please visit brewyonder.co.uk.
- For more information about Pilton Cider, please visit:piltoncider.com
Press release from Exact PR on behalf of Yonder
For further information or imagery please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07881 782262.
For more information about Exact PR please visit www.exactpr.co.uk.