Hogs Back Brewery in Tongham, Surrey, is brewing up a packed programme of events to keep visitors entertained over the coming months. So whether you’re into sport, music, celebrating special occasions or just catching up with friends over a beer or two, it’s all happening at the recently refurbished Tap bar.
For sports fans, the Tap is screening Six Nations matches from now through to the final in March on big screens, so book a table with friends and enjoy the action with a pint of England’s Glory, a golden ale brewed specially for the tournament. It’s not all about rugby though: the Grand National will be screened in April and there are plans to show Wimbledon matches later in the year.
The Tap will also be celebrating Mother’s Day and St George’s Day with special menus, while the Hogs Back charity quiz continues every first Thursday of the month, with the next event on 3 March in aid of the Afghanistan Crisis Appeal.
Music lovers will enjoy the regular live performances at the Tap. Local band Peach & the Prairie Dogs put on a set of Americana-inspired covers and originals on 26 March, while JC & Angelina Grimshaw perform their acoustic blues on 1 April and three-piece cover band Bloomfield Avenue take centre stage on 29 April.
The Tap serves a wide selection of Hogs Back freshly-brewed draught beers, including TEA, Hogstar lager, Surrey Nirvana, and Hog IPA, which can all be ordered in Snorters – glass flagons holding 3 ½ pints, ideal for sharing with friends. Non-beer drinkers are also catered for with a wine list and selection of locally distilled gins and there’s also a good range of soft drinks.
Home-made food and snacks prepared by Hogs Back’s full-time chef include the popular stone-baked pizzas, sharing platters and a selection of tasty dishes on a seasonally changing menu. All food is freshly prepared from ingredients sourced within a 30-mile radius of the brewery wherever possible.
The Tap is open on Thursdays from 5.00 – 11.00 pm, on Fridays and Saturdays from 10.00 am to 11.00 pm and Sundays from 10.00 am to 6.00 pm, with coffees and local Loseley Bakery cakes served until the bar opens at midday. Tables can be booked in the Hangar via the website: Tap Events – Hogs Back Brewery, or walk ins can be accommodated in the marquee.
And for beer drinkers who want to find out more about what’s in their glass, the popular Brewery Tours are back. Running on Thursday and Friday evenings and at several times on Saturdays and Sundays, an expert guide takes groups of up to 20 people through the brewing process, with a generous sampling of fresh beers at the end.
Rupert Thompson, Hogs Back Brewery managing director, said: “We completed our refurbishment of the Tap just in time for the festive season and are delighted with response from our local community – 150 people joined us for our HOG-Manay celebrations and close to 100 for Burns Night.
“These fantastic events demonstrated that there is a real appetite locally for great beer, food and entertainment under one roof, so we’re looking forward to building an exciting programme of activity for 2022 and welcoming existing Hogs Back drinkers and new visitors to the Tap.”
For a full list of entertainment, opening hours and menus, visit www.hogsback.co.uk
Notes to editors
- Hogs Back Brewery was founded in 1992 in Tongham, in the heart of the traditional Surrey hop growing area.
- Its flagship brand TEA, or Traditional English Ale, is one of the leading regional ales in the South East. The first beer brewed by Hogs Back in 1992, TEA has won multiple awards including runner-up in CAMRA’s Champion Beer of Britain in 2000.
- Other awards include CAMRA’s Champion Bottled Beer of Britain 2020 for its A over T (Aromas over Tongham) 9% ABV bottle conditioned barley wine and a Bronze medal in the International Cider Challenge 2019 for its traditional cloudy cider, Hazy Hog.
- The Hogs Back Brewery range includes a number of award-winning draught, bottled and canned beers, demonstrating its ability to combine brewing expertise and tradition with product innovation to create distinctive, memorable beers.
- Hogs Back planted a hop garden adjacent to its brewery in 2014, growing three hop varieties: Fuggles – used in its flagship TEA; Cascade – used in Hogstar lager; and Farnham White Bine.
- Hogs Back relocated its hop garden in 2019 to occupy an 8.5 acre site next to the brewery. In September 2021, it harvested its largest-ever hop crop, and staged Hop Harvest celebrations over a weekend, attracting 2,500 people.
- As part of its drive to become an ever more sustainable brewer, Hogs Back is aiming to eliminate single use plastic. They have introduced refillable glass Snorters (3.5 pints) and Snifters (1 ¾ pints), and to date have removed 10,000 PETs, earning them Plastic Free Champion status from Surfers Against Sewage.
Press release issued on behalf of Hogs Back Brewery by ShielPorter Communications
firstname.lastname@example.org / 07841 694137
email@example.com / 07734 054389