Leading South West brewer St Austell Brewery announced today it has brewed and sold 100,000 brewers’ barrels of its own brand beers in the last 365 days – the first time this milestone amount has been reached in the company’s 164 year history. The figure was hit on St Piran’s Day, the national day of Cornwall.
The landmark of 100,000 brewer’s barrels – equivalent to 28.8 million pints – includes all of St Austell Brewery’s own brands beers, such as its multi award-winning Tribute Pale Ale, Proper Job IPA and Korev lager.
Roger Ryman, Head Brewer at St Austell Brewery, said: “Ten years ago we were selling approximately 25,000 barrels a year. To hit 100,000 barrels today just shows the exponential rise in the popularity of St Austell beers.
“This growth has been predominantly driven by our flagship beer Tribute, which has gone national. But other brands have come though over recent years to support it, with Proper Job and Korev really blossoming. If we continue to grow at this rate then we could well hit 200,000 barrels by 2020.”
James Staughton, Managing Director of St Austell Brewery, said: “I am absolutely ecstatic to report that we have brewed 100,000 barrels of beer in the last 365 day period. I cannot put into words what an amazing achievement this is. It is a landmark figure that will go down in the history of the company and one that everyone in the business is very proud of. It is a TRIBUTE to the PROPER JOB we have done over recent years and to the customers who choose our beers! What a great announcement on St Piran’s Day.”
5 March 2015
Image: Roger Ryman and the brew team celebrate the milestone
Notes to editors:
- One brewers’ barrel is equivalent to 288 pints
St Austell Brewery (www.staustellbrewery.co.uk)
- St Austell Brewery was named Best Regional Brewer at the Publicans Choice Awards 2013, and has a large number of other award wins under its belt.
- Its flagship Tribute Ale (4.2% ABV) was named Best Drink at the Food Reader Awards in 2013; voted the licensees’ Regional Cask Ale of the Year at the Publicans’ Suppliers Awards 2012 and is currently in the top five of the UK’s best-selling premium cask ales.
- Founded in 1851, St Austell Brewery is known to be one of the oldest businesses in Cornwall.
- It is one of only 30 Independently Family Owned Brewers in the UK.
- The company owns over 170 pubs and inns across the South West.
- It is the South West’s largest wholesale distributor of beer, ciders, wines, spirits and soft drinks, serving more than 3,000 free trade accounts, from pubs, clubs, restaurants, hotels and other licensed outlets in Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Bristol.
- The company employs up to 1,000 people including part-time and seasonal staff.
- The company brews five main cask ale beer brands: Tribute, Proper Job, Trelawny, Dartmoor Best and HSD. Korev Cornish Lager is also available on draught.
- The bottled beer range consists of HSD, Tribute, Proper Job, Admiral’s Ale, Trelawny, Smugglers Vintage Ale, Smugglers Grand Cru, Clouded Yellow wheat beer, 1913 Cornish Stout and Korev Cornish lager.
- The company markets its cask ales nationally.
- The company also distributes a full range of national brands of beers and minerals and a full range of wines and spirits under the Walter Hicks label.
- The company is a recognised centre of excellence for training, accredited by the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII), offering a wide range of courses to people who work in the licensed trade.
For further information, please contact:
Jeremy Mitchell Tom Cowle
Director of Marketing & Communications DCA Public Relations
St Austell Brewery PR on behalf of St Austell Brewery