Curious Brewery, the brewery owned by England’s leading winemaker, Chapel Down, has launched the first in a unique series of small batch beers, each produced with a winemaker’s twist
The series, named Curiouser & Curiouser, sees Curious Brewery collaborate with leading brewers from around the UK to produce unique limited edition beers that each lean on winemaking influences.
‘Curiouser & Curiouser Chapter 1’, the first beer in the collection, is a Wild Fermented Chardonnay & Bacchus Sour Ale created in partnership with Somerset’s The Wild Beer Company.
The limited edition brew, in which just 1,500 bottles have been produced, is barrel-aged with Chardonnay & Bacchus wine yeast creating a uniquely complex beer. The fresh acidity from the sour ale is balanced by the smooth and textural flavours characteristic of English wine to give intense aromas of citrus and toasted nuts with a hint of vanilla.
In homage to its winemaking influence, Chapter 1 is bottled in a 75cl wine bottle, sealed with a crown cork and The Wild Beer Company’s signature wax seal. The name ‘Curiouser & Curiouser’ links to Alice in Wonderland and each beer in the collection will be a different chapter number. The first release, Chapter 1, has subtle connotations to the book in the packaging – such as a neck tag around the bottle which reads ‘Drink Me: Every adventure requires a first sip!’
Chapel Down Head Winemaker, Josh Donaghay-Spire, led the collaboration with Somerset’s masters of flavours and fermentation, The Wild Beer Company, to create this truly unique and authentic tasting barrel-aged sour beer.
Donaghay-Spire says: “Our collaboration with The Wild Beer Company was formed from a shared belief in exceptional brewing and a mutual passion for imaginative new products.
“The brewing process involved topping barrels of our Chardonnay and Bacchus lees with sour beer from the Wild Beer Company, where it then settled for six months. The beer was then blended with the best four of their summer blend and two of their sourdough barrels, resulting in a beer that confounds expectations and will push most beer drinkers out of their comfort zone, which is a good thing once in a while!”
Curious Brewery Managing Director, Gareth Bath, adds, ”Curiouser & Curiouser is going to offer beer-drinkers something completely new; beer made by leading winemakers and some of the UK’s most forward-thinking brewers.
“The next beers in the series will be launched throughout 2018, each in partnership with a different brewer and each with a curious winemaking twist.”
Curiouser & Curiouser Chapter 1: Wild Fermented Chardonnay & Bacchus Sour Ale (ABV 4.9%, 75cl) retails for £20.00 and is available to purchase exclusively from the newly launched www.curiousbrewery.com website.
For further information, images and tasting please contact Well Hello Communications:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 07723 021894
email@example.com / 07910 374301
Notes to Editors:
About Curious Drinks
- Launched in 2011, Curious Brewery is a range of premium beers and cider produced using winemaking expertise. The range comprises:Curious Brew: Lager re-fermented with Champagne yeast with a clean, fruity and fragrant finish Curious IPA: A triple hopped and distinctively IPA with a balanced, zesty and refreshing finish Curious Apple: Fully ripe hand-picked Kentish apples fermented with Bacchus wine yeast resulting in a cleaner, crisper and fresher cider
- The Curious Brewery product range is listed nationally in Majestic, Waitrose and Tesco, as well as in many of the UK’s finest restaurants and bars.
- Curious Brewery is the official beer and cider supplier to the Donmar Warehouse and London Symphony Orchestra, it’s products are also served at The National Portrait Gallery, Royal Festival Hall and the Southbank Centre.
- In 2018, Curious Brewery is set to open a new custom-built, state-of-the-art brewery in Ashford, Kent. The custom-built brewery will be open to the public for guided tours and will feature a shop, restaurant and bar.
- The Curious Brewery is the headline sponsor of the Curious Arts Fair 2018: http://www.curiousartsfestival.com/
About Chapel Down
- Chapel Down is England’s leading wine producer with an award-winning range of sparkling and still wines, along with the hugely popular Curious Brewery range of beer and cider.
- Chapel Down wines are listed in many of the UK’s finest restaurants and supported by leading chefs, such as Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver. The range is also available through Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Majestic, Marks & Spencer and Booths.
- Chapel Down is the Official Wine of the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race and is an official partner to the Royal Opera House, the Donmar Warehouse and the London Symphony Orchestra.
- Chapel Down is an official wine supplier to 10 Downing Street. It is also recognised by DEFRA as one of the UK’s ’50 Food Stars’ and is the first English wine producer to be featured on the London Stock Exchange’s ’1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ in 2016.
- Chapel Down Kit’s Coty Coeur de Cuvee 2013 was released in Spring 2017 and is England’s first coeur de cuvee, produced from the heart of the pressing. The wine was awarded a Gold medal at the International Wine & Spirits Competition.
- The Chapel Down winery is based in Tenterden, Kent, and have 16 acres under vine surrounding the winery on a 68-acre estate within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Chapel Down owns the largest vineyard (115 acres) in Kent; the Kit’s Coty estate on the North Downs, while also sourcing grapes from a further 13 vineyards across the South East of England.