Craft beer drinkers can enjoy a very distinctive flavour of spring with the UK launch of Dominion Cherry Blossom Lager from the US
The beer is brewed in limited quantities in the US each year, with demand regularly outstripping supply. The blushing pink, effervescent lager will be available to the UK on-trade from mid-April as a seasonal special within the range of Fordham and Dominion American Craft Beers, imported into the UK by Heathwick.
Cherry Blossom Lager gets its pink colour and light cherry flavour from being conditioned on a bed of 300 pounds of Michigan cherries for 48 hours before packaging at the Fordham and Dominion brewery in Delaware.
The 5.2% ABV lager is made with Pale, Carafoam, Munich, and Vienna malts, and Perle and Tradition hops. These combine with the fruit to create a crisp beer with a light, cherry champagne flavour, which matches well with salads, roast chicken, game and spicy Asian cuisine.
With production limited to 500 barrels, Cherry Blossom Lager will be available in 355ml bottles and 30 litre kegs while the UK’s limited allocation lasts. The artwork on the bottle and pump clip features a distinctive cherry tree illustration inspired by a passage from ‘Alice in Wonderland.
Graham Richardson, general manager of Heathwick, said: “American craft brewers love to interpret traditional beer styles, and while Cherry Blossom Lager is a tribute to the cherry, or kriek beers which have been made in Europe for centuries, it also has a distinctive lightness of style which is all its own.
“This year’s 500 barrel production run in the US is an increase on last year, but it still won’t be enough to satisfy demand, so we’re delighted to have secured the first-ever supply for the growing number of UK craft beer enthusiasts.
“The interest we’ve been receiving from the on-trade shows Cherry Blossom Lager will be an exciting addition to our programme of Fordham and Dominion seasonal beers.”
Other beers in the Fordham and Dominion spring and summer seasonal range, available from May and June onwards, include:
- Fordham Wisteria Wheat, 5.1% ABV easy drinking, unfiltered wheat ale, brewed with Hefeweizen yeast, Pale and Wheat malts, and Perle and Tradition hops. available in keg;
- Dominion Beach House Pilsner, 5.2% ABV crisp and refreshing Pilsner lager, brewed with Perle, Tettanger and Saaz hops and available in bottle and keg;
- Dominion Gigi Farmhouse Ale, 7.2% ABV Belgian-influenced farmhouse summer ale, made with Pilsner, Oat and Torrified wheat malts, and Bravo, Select and Cascade hops. Available in bottle.
Notes to editors
- Heathwick Ltd. imports a range of year-round, craft ales and lagers from the Fordham and Brewing Company located in Dover, Delaware in the USA, along with a selection of seasonal brews and soft drinks.
- Fordham and Old Dominion pride themselves on the quality and purity of ingredients used in their beers and are passionate about brewing flavoursome ales and lagers, crafted and balanced to provide the ‘drinkability’ factor.
- The Fordham and Dominion range was launched in the UK by Heathwick in Autumn 2011. Current distribution is mainly in London and the South East, with stockists including The Diner Group, Porky’s in Camden, Honky Tonk in Clapham, Lockhart Mayfair, plus Jake’s Bar in Edinburgh, Head of Steam in Durham and Tilley’s Bar in Newcastle, Copper Jack in Bristol and 10feet tall in Cardiff. Their beers are also available online through Beers of Europe from £2.09 a bottle.
Issued on behalf of: Heathwick Ltd
By: ShielPorter Communications
Heathwick Ltd is the importer of